Come join the Bay Area’s own Locking crew, GroovMekanex in celebrating their 20th yr. Anniversary this Saturday Nov 16th!!
This will be our LAST jam before we take a little break for a few years, so let’s close out this 20th anniversary BIG together!!
THE GROOVMEKANEX 20TH YR ANNIVERSARY JAM : #GMx20
1v1 LOCKING BATTLE (GMx STYLE!!)
1st place: $400 + GMx20 Custom Trophy
**As an added bonus 2nd place in the finals will be rewarded with $100
SAT NOV 16, 2019
@ 7th West
1255 7th st.
VENUE CHANGE due to circumstances beyond our control. Sorry for any inconvenience!
130 Linden st.
BATTLES & PERFORMANCES (open to all ages):
3pm – 8pm (Prelims start at 4pm sharp)
$5-10 sliding scale donations appreciated
Ka Lok One
Fire Lock (Unortholockx, NYC)
RESIDENT GROOVMEKANEX DJs playing funky treats and party jams
INTERMISSION / BREAK
8:00pm – 10:00pm
*We will be emptying the venue to prepare for the After-Party. Food and drinks available if you wish to stay during intermission.
@ 7th West, Oakland
*In collaboration with Knuckle Neck Tribe’s Doo Dat Doo Dat monthly
10pm – 2am
Dug Infinite (Knuckle Neck Tribe / Common / Masta Ace)
Max Champ (Knuckle Neck Tribe)
**GMX BATTLE FORMAT:**
Dancers will do the usual solo showcase round up to :45 sec or 1 minute. (DJ’s choice music)
17th RANK CALL OUT BATTLE
After the Top 16 are chosen, the 17th rank dancer will have an opportunity to call out any of the Top 16 in a head to head battle for their spot. (1 round)
Head to head format, 2 rounds (1 round 80’s Funk, 1 round Disco)
Head to head format, 2 rounds (1 round Hip-Hop, 1 round DJs choice)
THE PIT (updated 11.10.19)
The remaining dancers after the Top 8 brackets will compete in the PIT! This is a new twist to the King/Queen of the hill of recent years so please keep the changes in mind.
-Order of the dancers is by lowest to highest seed with the lowest starting in the PIT and highest at the back of the line.
-Each dancer starts with 4 lives and is eliminated after losing all 4.
-The loser of each round loses a life then remains (or moves into) in the PIT and the winner goes to the back of the line.
-The dancer in the PIT always goes 2nd.
-When a dancer is eliminated the remaining contestants that still have 4 Lives is changed to the 3, then 2. Any dancers with less than max during an elimination remains at the same value.
-Also, when a dancer is eliminated the winner goes to the back of the line and the next two battle.
-The PIT concludes when there are two dancers remaining who then go onto the final battle.
-Music will be songs from various genres handpicked by GroovMekanex members and will be played at random by the DJ per round.
Head to head battle. (2 rounds, judge’s choice music)
BATTLE SIGN-UP (Capping at 40)
*Order of competitors will be determined by random shuffle of names. Not by order of sign-up.
Name – Hometown – Crew (if applicable)
Shout out to our past 1v1 Locking winners:
Pyro (Toronto, ON) 2015
Kim Sato (Vancouver, BC) 2016
Natsuna (Osaka, Japan) 2017
Zebra Pants (Bay Area, USA) 2018
*Who will be crowned the Locking Champion for this final year?!
#GroovMekanex #BayAreaLockers #GMx20 #TheGroovMekanex20thAnniversary
1. Jonny Qwest – Calgary/Montreal – LockUnity
2. Splash – SINGAPORE – Soul Funky/EXP
3. Ewock-a-Lock, Long Beach, Team Skull / Funktion Point
4. Kevin “Scyther” – San Jose – AOV/Team SKULL
5. AdoboLock — Orange County, CA — Funktion Point/Team Skull
6. G-Funk (a.k.a. My Name Is Not Gladys) – East Bay – Bay Area Lady Lockers
7. Locker J – Singapore – Soul Funky
8. Happy Nuggzs – Orange County – Funktion Point / Team Skull / Homeland / Jungle House OC!
9. Haru – Tokyo
10. Jen — Hong Kong — The Quickies
11. Cobra – Viet Nam -Jukebox Family, LockosAZ
12. LockStatic – Seattle – Rhythmetic Progressions / Dance Over Styles
13. Zuce- Mexico/LA
14. Dancin’ Nance — Los Angeles– Homeland/ Funktion Point
15. Momou — Tokyo
16. G6 – Toronto
17. Soul Arch – Hawaii/Portland – Art of Bot
18. Key – San Jose – B.A.L.L., Dance Over Styles
19. B2U – San Jose – Dance Over Styles
20. Ruby – Taiwan – FunkyLadyz